Today I wanted to jump right in and paint, but took a really hard look at what I had. I felt the shadow on his forehead was getting "muddy", so I played around on my tester book with some different colors. At the top right is my original mix: New Gamboge, Anthraquinoid red, and Fr. Ultramarine. After it dried, I though it looked dull, so I took a tip from Mary Whyte's portrait book and switched out my red for quin. Rose. (All the paints I am using for this are Daniel Smith) When I "floated them together, I got something that wasn't like any skin I had ever seen, but I though it would make a good shadow when washed over what I already had. It is drying now, so I'm gonna start some laundry and BE PATIENT! Then I will remove the masking and see where I am.
Happy Painting! :)
I think it is important to share our process with others, just as we gain from watching other artists work.